Performance Review Time!

Its Performance Time! Over the past 20+ years, I've both gotten performance reviews and given them in many of them too.  As a manager, it’s something you do once per year. Sure, you might do quarterly reviews or semi-annual reviews to make sure associates are on track but everyone cares about the annual review.  They are stressful for both the associate and the manager.  Everyone asks, why I didn't exceed my goals and/or how does this impact my merit increase. Managers have to make extremely tough decision to do what is best both for the organization as well as to meet the budget guidelines we are given.

I’d first like to ask the question, do most people even like getting their performance review?  I suspect not.  I’m guessing most would just like to hear the merit increase and move forward. Why? It’s probably because most performance reviews are so poorly given. I admit, I’ve done it myself.  Most performance reviews seem to be rushed. We sum of a year’s review in under 30 minutes. Otherwise, it appears your manager spent a total of 10 minutes on your review. The worst might be glowing praise with an average rating. I’m sure everyone has had the review where your goals at the beginning of the year never seem to align with the projects you were given. As a manager, you absolutely shouldn’t surprise your associate with their results.  They don’t have it easy, they sometimes get a new employee and then are responsible for giving the performance review with limited knowledge of the employee. This year, in an effort to #LearnGrowShare, I’ve attempted to do a better job. 

This year, I listened to the following podcasts from Manager Tools (https://www.manager-tools.com/) which helps to train managers to be more effective.

Manager Tools – Performance Reviews

From my experience in this new process, it doesn’t make it any easier. If anything, it was more work but following a process and being prepared does reduce the stress and also gives the associate the respect they deserve.  Managers should understand that it’s critical you take the time and focus on their successes and opportunities for improvement. I’ll post all my notes on the manager tools podcast in the future but here are the highlights:
  • Pre-meeting activities
  • Develop a core message to give the associate
    • Rating
    • Result
    • Goals for following year.
  • What to bring to the review
  • How to conduct performance review

These activities take time but I was rewarded by being prepared when walking into the review, I had compiled a lot of information to discuss with the associate.  I had collected and prepared;
  • Company performance metric guideline
  • Core message for the associate
  • Performance Review w/accomplishments and opportunities for growth highlighted.  Associate is given copy 24 hours in advance of the review.
  • Merit increase timeline
  • Merit Increase showing % with new salary
  • 360-Feedback from peers (another Manager Tools podcast is on receiving 360-Feedback)
  • Provided high-level goals


I hope this helps you in your next performance review.  What have you done that works or has made you a better manager in giving reviews?  Let me know so we all can #LearnGrowShare together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to MongoDB

Starting our .NET Core WebAPI Journey – Step 2