Starting our .NET Core WebAPI Journey


Starting our .NET Core WebAPI Journey


Looking on Wikipedia, it shows that .NET Core was first released on June 27th 2016 (my daughters b’day).  I can’t believe that .NET Core has been out for almost two years now.  You can tell Microsoft is pushing it hard these days.  Recently Microsoft released version 2.1 and they have proposed version 3.0 (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2018/05/07/net-core-3-and-support-for-windows-desktop-applications/ ) coming out next year which will support Windows Desktop Applications.  I suspect most companies are still using .NET framework as they have invested so much hardware on Windows devices.  Now with Docker becoming standard and being able to release your solutions in Azure, it’s becoming easier and easier to build solutions for .NET Core.  Also, I believe it was with the .NET Core 2.0 release that they started to support .NET Standard.  This allowed companies to migrate their core class libraries to.NET standard which could be used by .NET Framework or .NET Core.

 When I interview candidates, most of they haven’t even started on .NET Core yet.  I’m amazed that they are waiting for their employer to tell them its OK.  I’ve been evaluating it and now that I feel I’m getting comfortable with it, I thought I’d share my .NET Core WebAPI journey with you and maybe we can learn together.

I don’t want to do a simple ‘Hello World’ example where we build something but it has no value.  I’d like to walk through this journey creating a real-world application with some of the layers I’d create.  So, let’s start with this:
  • ·        Create a .NET Standard Business class library using Entity framework
  • ·        Create a .NET Core WebAPI which uses our .NET Standard library.  We’ll set this up just as if you are doing it for real. We will use Dependency Injection, AutoMapper to convert our objects and define our settings in the appsettings.json file.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to MongoDB

Starting our .NET Core WebAPI Journey – Step 2